Minutes 18th January 2017

Craswall, Llanveynoe, Longtown and Walterstone

Minutes of the Longtown Group Parish Council meeting held on
Wednesday 18th January 2017 at 7.30pm in Longtown Village Hall.

PRESENT – Mr J Hardy (Vice-Chairman), Mrs L Watkins, Mrs J Cecil, Mr N Powell, Mrs P Tribe, Ms D Palmer and Ms J Jones.
IN ATTENDANCE – Mrs L Cowles (Clerk), Ward Councillor Graham Powell and one member of the public.
1. ACCEPT APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE – Mr N Cowles, Mr J Turner, Mrs J Probert, Mrs G Watkins and PCSO Fiona Witcher.
In the absence of the Chairman it was agreed that Mr J Hardy would take the Chair.
2. RECEIVE DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST & CONSIDER ANY WRITTEN APPLICATIONS FOR DISPENSATION – Mr N Powell declared a non-disclosable interest in agenda item 7.1; the declarations book was signed accordingly.
3. ADOPT MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS ORDINARY MEETING – 16th November 2016 – The minutes were signed as a true and accurate record.
4. OPEN DISCUSSION – The attending member of the public wished to comment on the verge schedules, it was agreed that this would be discussed at agenda item 9.
5.1 Ward Councillor Graham Powell – Councillor Powell’s report had been distributed to Councillors via email prior to the meeting and included: –
2017/18 Budget Update
Hereford Car Park Tariffs
Hereford Library
Three Elms housing development planning application – Hereford statement from welsh Water’s re planned £21 million investments
A full report is available via the Longtown Parish Council website, or on request, from the Clerk.
5.2 Local Police – The local police were unable to attend the meeting
Ms J Jones joined the meeting
5.3 Lengthsman – Mr T Griffiths was unable to attend the meeting. Mr Cowles has signed off the November and December worksheets.
Ward Councillor Powell reported that Balfour Beatty seemed to be moving from doing temporary repairs to more permanent solutions but many problems are being reported on several occasions before any repairs are made. There is a feeling they are not doing as much as they should be. He will be making a tour of ‘C’ roads in the Parish with a Director from Balfour Beatty next week. After the recent snow fall there had been an issue in contacting the emergency telephone number and requesting authorisation to use the snow plough. It had been advised that authority would only be given once an inspection had been made by Balfour Beatty. There seems to be a lack of awareness that snow can fall in this area when not in Hereford. Ward Councillor Powell advised to go anyway although some Councillors were concerned that this could be an issue for the contractors.
Pot holes reported on the C1213 at The Bryn.

Planning Application 163237, The Prill, Longtown. Prior Approval has been refused.
Barclays bank mandate has been approved allowing the two new cheque signatories.
Letters of thanks for recent donations have been received from Longtown Village Pride, Longtown Village Hall and Dore Community Transport.
Grant applications have been completed for the defibrillators.
Vowchurch & District PC have submitted their regulation 16 Neighbourhood Development Plan to Hereford Council for consultation.
Herefordshire Council are asking if the Parish Council is minded to introduce an allowances scheme for Parish Councillors. It was agreed that the Council would not at this time.
There is a travellers Sites Development Plan drop in session on 6th February from 4pm – 7pm.
The stile for the public footpath near Llandraw Farm has been delivered to the Clerk. As the land has now changed hands it was agreed the Clerk will contact the new owner re it’s installation.
Having requested residents contact the Council concerning the use of the telephone boxes, one resident had responded with the idea of using them to house the defibrillators.
The Clerk has received a request for a resident on Beavans Lane for a salt bin at the top of the lane. It was agreed that the Clerk would contact Balfour Beatty to request one.
Diana Robinson has requested a donation towards the running of the community library in Longtown. After the Neighbourhood Plan survey this had been identified as a valued community asset, it was therefore agreed that the Parish Council would donate £150.00 to help with running costs. Proposed by Diana Palmer, seconded by Judy Cecil. It was agreed that the Parish Council would need to be aware of where donations were made to in the future.
Site: Llandraw Farm, Craswall, Herefordshire. HR2 0PW
Description: Conversion of a disused former agricultural building to an annex forming
ancillary, supplementary accommodation to the house.
Application No: 163848 Grid Ref: 330072:234214
Site: Forest Lawn, Craswall, Herefordshire. HR2 0PL
Description: Reconstruction of outbuildings.
Application No: 161761 Grid Ref: 328815:234217
Site: Great Hunt House, Walterstone, Herefordshire. HR2 0DZ
Description: Proposed Agricultural building.
Application No: 163671 Grid Ref: 334838:226181
8.1 Updated confirmation of bank balance – £7005.50 Statement Sheet No. 200 issued 10th January 2017.
The Clerk requested permission to transfer £1000 from the savings account to the current account – All Agreed.
8.2 Receipts – £309.00 NP frontrunner fund claim and £3353.80 Lengthsman claim.

8.3 Payment to Mr T Griffiths, invoice no. TGC1885 – Roads Account November 2016 (1) of £382.00 plus VAT, invoice no. TGC1907 – Roads Account November 2016 (2) of £382.00 plus VAT, invoice no. TGC1912 – Roads Account December 2016 (1 -salt bins) of £350.00 plus VAT, invoice no. TGC1913 – Roads Account December 2016 (2 – salt bins) of £350.00 plus VAT and invoice no. TGC1932 – Roads Account December 2016 (3) of £382.00 plus VAT – Payment Agreed.
8.4 Payment to Data Orchard (Neighbourhood Plan) invoice no. 0017 of £298.00 plus VAT – Payment Agreed.
8.5 Payment to Longtown village hall for extra meeting dates of £21.60 – Payment Agreed.
8.6 Payment to Mrs Linda Cowles for December 2016 Clerk’s hours, £100 home office use Jan – Dec 2016, £14.28 stamps and £21.42 stationery – Payment Agreed.
8.7 Payment to HMRC of £141.20 for PAYE October – December 2016 – Payment Agreed.
9. VERGE CUTTING SCHEDULES – There has been growing concerns in the parish that the verges are cut at the wrong time of year. Mr Anthony Furness put his case forward that he would prefer verges on unclassified roads to be cut once a year as are the roadside hedges preferably from September. (Other roads will need individual assessment). This issue had previously need discussed at the November meeting where Julie Jones had agreed to investigate the issue. Plantlife produce ‘The Good Verge Guide’ and believe that the adoption of a few basic principles can significantly improve the biodiversity on our verges, bringing benefits for wildlife, for us and for future generations. They recommend various forms of management and propose if cutting once a year the best time would be mid-July – September, twice a year mid-July – September then again before Christmas or February – March and then again in September or October.
Contractors cut earlier this year, in May and they currently cut all the verges in the area. Graham reported that in the last six years these schedules had changed significantly but people have different opinions about when verges should be cut and you cannot please everybody all of the time.
The main concerns are:
Each species likes to be cut at different times of year.
Health & Safety issues if left to overgrow.
Problems for car users.
Detrimental to tourism if the verges are overgrown.
Contractors will not cut some verges and come back again to do others.
How could you identify which areas to cut and which to leave to be cut at a later date?
Costs to the Parish Council if the Lengthsman then had to cut the verges.
It was agreed to ask for parishioners’ ideas about when verges should be cut and this will also be discussed at the forthcoming Neighbourhood Plan Parish meetings. Jim Hardy will contact the Wildlife Trust, who may be interested in surveying the hedges. Item to be included again in the March agenda.
10. THE GENERAL POWER OF COMPETENCE – Having met the conditions of eligibility of at least two thirds of the Council elected and that the Clerk has the recognised qualification of CiLCA, the Parish Council resolved to adopt the General Power of Competence.
11. 2017/18 BUDGET – The revised budget for 2017/18 was agreed. Jim Hardy enquired why the Audit fees were a lot higher this year. Clerk to investigate.
12. LENGTHSMAN 2017/18 – Agree 2017/18 maintenance plan – Defer to February meeting. It was agreed for the Clerk to meet with the Lengthsman to discuss the remaining budget for 2016/17.
13. NEIGHBOURHOOD PLAN – The Steering Group would be meeting again on Friday 27th January. The Parish meeting dates are confirmed as 28th February in Walterstone, 1st March in Craswall and 3rd March in Longtown all starting at 7.30pm.

14. WILDLIFE & COUNTRYSIDE ACT 1981 SECTION 53 (Addition of Restricted Byway LQ85 Longtown and Llanveynoe) Modification Order 2010 – The Inspector final decision on this Order has been received and concludes that primarily this will now become a public footpath instead of a restricted byway along with other changes. A full report is available on request.
15. HEARTSTART – A Heartstart course has been booked for 7th March 2017, 7pm – 9pm in Longtown Primary School. Numbers are restricted to 12.
16. STANDING ORDERS – Julie Jones is currently working through the Standing orders and will have an update as soon as possible.
17. ANNUAL PARISH MEETING DATES 2017/18 – It was agreed to incorporate the Annual Parish meetings in Craswall and Longtown/Llanveynoe with the Neighbourhood Plan meetings. Walterstone will remain as in previous years. All ordinary meetings will be on the third Wednesday of the month apart from August and December when there will not be a meeting.
18. THE MARCHES FREIGHT STRATEGY – Your chance to have your say – The survey was completed and forwarded to the Clerk to return.
19. FEBRUARY NEWSLETTER – Neighbourhood Plan meeting dates, Heartstart, verges, website & Marches Energy Agency offers.
20. NOTE THE CORRESPONDENCE SHEET – The correspondence sheet was noted.
21. RAISE MATTERS FOR THE NEXT SCHEDULED ORDINARY MEETING – 15th February 2017 at 7.30pm in Longtown Village Hall – Standing orders, Finance Committee.

The Vice Chairman declared he meeting closed at 2200