Minutes 21st March 2018

Minutes of the Longtown Group Parish Council meeting held on Wednesday 21st March 2018 at 7.30pm in Craswall Village Hall.

PRESENT – Mrs J Cecil (Chair), Mrs G Watkins, Mr N Powell and Ms D Palmer.

IN ATTENDANCE – Mrs L Cowles (temporary Clerk) and Mr T Griffiths (Lengthsman).

  1. ACCEPT APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE – Mrs P Tribe, Mr P Hope, Ward Councillor Peter Jinman and PCSO Fiona Witcher.
  2. RECEIVE DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST & CONSIDER ANY WRITTEN APPLICATIONS FOR DISPENSATION – There were no declarations of interest or written applications for dispensation.
  3. ADOPT MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS ORDINARY MEETING – 21st February 2018 – The minutes were signed as a true and accurate record.
  4. OPEN DISCUSSION – No members of the public attended the meeting and therefore no specific points were raised.
  5. REPORTS
    • Ward Councillor – Mr Peter Jinman was unable to attend the meeting.
    • Local Police – The local police were unable to attend the meeting.
    • Lengthsman report – Mr T Griffiths had nothing to report.
  6. CLERKS UPDATE – The Balfour Beatty Parish Briefing dates have changed to 10th April at the Kingsland depot from 2pm or 16th April at the Thorn depot from 10am. The Chair asked if any Councillors could attend. Ms D Palmer agreed to attend on 10th

Herefordshire Councils Travellers Site Development Plan has now been submitted to the Secretary of State and the submission documents can be found on the Herefordshire Council website.

  1. CONSIDER PLANNING
    • PLANNING CONSULTATION

Site:                                The Villa, Craswall, Herefordshire. HR2 0PL

Description:                  Proposed front porch and rear extension to summer house with associated

alterations for ancillary use to the main house.

Application No:           180452                                    Grid Ref: 329267:234446

NO OBJECTIONS

  • PLANNING PERMISSION REFUSED

Site:                               Land lying south of High House, Llanveynoe, Herefordshire

Description:                 Retrospective – Material change of use of siting of caravans with associated

roof canopy and timber screening.

Application No:           174671                                  Grid Ref: 330942:230789

  • FINANCE
    • Confirmation of updated bank balance – £8797.83 statement issued 9th March 2018.
    • Receipts – £1020 transfer from business premier account, £508.10 VAT reclaim and £780.67 Lengthsman claim.
  • Payment to Mr T Griffiths, invoice no. TGC0272 – Roads Account January 2018 (1) of £382.00 plus VAT – The Parish Council were not happy to pay this invoice from the February agenda as they had seen any evidence of works completed. Mr Griffiths confirmed that they had visited on 9th January covering The Bryn and roads as per the worksheet. Mrs Cecil confirmed she had in fact seen them that day and payment was agreed. Invoice no. TGC0291 – Roads Account February 2018 (1) of £382.00 plus VAT – The Parish Council were also not happy to pay this invoice from the February agenda as again they had not seen any evidence of works completed. Mr Griffiths confirmed that they visited on 8th Mrs Cecil and Mrs Tribe have visited the areas covered in the last few weeks and were still not happy with the work. Mr Griffiths expressed his disappointed that they had checked the work some weeks after completion especially after recent weather conditions where mud etc has been pushed back into the grips after snow ploughing. Mr Powell advised that he had also been in the area on the day of the wok (8th February), had spoken to some local residents and had also seen no evidence of work completed. The Parish Council agreed that they would not be paying this invoice. Mr Griffiths reluctantly agreed with their decision.  Invoice no. TGC0296 – Roads Account January 2018 (2) of £382.00 plus VAT – Mr Griffiths confirmed that they had visited on 30th January and that the van had broken down. The Parish Council felt that the men had been sat in the van for some time waiting for Mr Griffiths to arrive with help and believe that a full day’s work was not completed. Mr Griffiths disagreed saying he had arrived with another team and completed works for that day as necessary. After discussion it was agreed to pay £282.00 plus VAT. Invoice no. TGC0312 – Roads Account February 2018 (2) of £382.00 plus VAT – Payment agreed.

Mr Griffiths was disappointed that the contract had ended on an acrimonious note, he felt that he was being reasonable but felt he currently did not want to complete the allocated March days. Mrs Cecil also expressed disappointment but the Parish Council agreed that he should complete the two March days to finish his contract. He was asked to make the Chair aware when he would be visiting. Mr Griffiths confirmed that he is currently working two weeks behind schedule because of the bad weather and could not commit to working the two remaining days.

Last March Mr Griffiths had been paid £600 nett for some ditching work that had not been completed. He presented the Parish Council with a cheque for the £600 to repay the money.

  • Payment to Data Orchard, invoice no. 0099 of £887.00 plus VAT for Neighbourhood Plan – Payment agreed.
  • Payment to HALC, invoice no. H237 of £495.45 plus VAT for Affiliation Fee and Subscription Fee 1st April 2018 – 31st March 2019 – Payment agreed.
  • Payment to Mrs J Cecil of £12.00 for two adverts for Clerks position – Payment agreed.
  • Payment to Mrs L Cowles for temporary Clerks’ work – Mrs Cowles advised that she had already spent six hours preparing the agenda for this meeting and would have the minutes and accounts to do until year end on 31st As the PAYE year will end on 5th April 2018 it would be preferable to issue a final P45 before that date. It was agreed to pay for 14 hours work in total including all work already completed.
  1. LENGTHSMAN CONTRACT 2018-19 – One tender has been received quoting £500 per day plus VAT for 2 people covering an eight-hour day, this did not include the use of a Jetter. Mrs Cecil advised that Mr Hope has been approached by an interested party who would possibly be interested in doing the work on an hourly rate but would prefer not to be contracted. Mrs Cecil proposed to contact the latest interested party to enquire if they hold public liability insurance. It was agreed to defer a decision until the April meeting. Mrs Watkins advised that Mr Powell and herself have drawn up a plan for works needed in the Craswall parish. The Chair reconfirmed that any ditches were the Landowners responsibility under Riparian Ownership and is not the Parish Council’s responsibility.
  1. GRIT SALT SUPPLIES – It was agreed that grit salt supplies need to be held within the parish. Some is currently held in Craswall, Llanveynoe and Walterstone. It was agreed to ask how much salt was left in each location and to contact the Locality Steward to enquire if the Self-Help Scheme was still running and to request extra supplies if needs be. Include item again in the April agenda.
  2. CLERK VACANCY – Mrs Cecil confirmed that Linda will not be covering the April meeting and that there has currently only been one applicant for the position. Herefordshire Association of Local Councils will cover a meeting to include compiling the agenda, doing the minutes, making payments and dealing with any minor business. The cost for temporary Clerk cover is £150.00 plus VAT and mileage per meeting. It was agreed that Mrs Cecil could contact HALC to arrange this. Mrs Cecil will also contact Longtown School to advertise the vacancy through them.
  3. LONGTOWN MEETING 23rd MAY 2018 – This meeting will now be run by Mrs Cecil as a group fundraising event and would not be the Annual Parish meeting for Longtown.
  4. LONGTOWN OUTDOOR EDUCATION CENTRE – Defer
  5. LONGTOWN SCHOOL ROAD SIGNS – This is still work in progress as the system used by Balfour Beatty to order the signs is not yet up and running. Mrs Cecil confirmed that Longtown School PTA are paying for the signs.
  6. GENERAL DATA PROTECTION REGULATIONS – New regulations come in to effect on 25th May 2018. It is very important that the Parish Council has systems in place to comply with these regulations. As Parish Councillors present were unable to volunteer their time in April it was agreed to ask Mrs Tribe and Mr Hardy to look at these regulations as soon as possible. Mr Powell would help when possible in May.
  7. APRIL NEWSLETTER – Clerks vacancy and Lengthsman tender.
  8. NOTE THE CORRESPONDENCE SHEET – The correspondence sheet was noted.
  9. RAISE MATTERS FOR THE NEXT SCHEDULED ORDINARY MEETING & WALTERSTONE PARISH MEETING – 18TH April 2018 at 8.00pm in Walterstone Village Hall – GDPR, Lengthsman contract, Clerk vacancy, Grit salt supplies, Neighbourhood plan update, Mrs Cowles salary, PAYE.

The Chair declared the meeting closed at 2105