LONGTOWN GROUP PARISH COUNCIL
Craswall, Llanveynoe, Longtown and Walterstone
Minutes of the Longtown Group Parish Council Meeting held at the Longtown Village Hall, Longtown HR2 0LD on Wednesday 24th October 2018 commencing at 8:00pm.
MEMBERS PRESENT: Councillors J Cecil (Chair), J Hardy (Vice Chair), P Hope, N Powell, J Probert and P Tribe, G Watkins and L Watkins.
ALSO PRESENT: Paul Russell, Clerk to the Council and Rochelle Russell, Deputy Clerk.
71/18 APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
Apologies were received and accepted from Cllr D Palmer.
72/18 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND CONSIDER ANY WRITTEN APPLICATIONS FOR DISPENSATION – No dispensations requests had been received. The following Declarations of Interest were made:
- Cllr N Powell: P183186 & P183609.
- Cllr J Probert: P183186 & P183609.
- Cllr G Watkins: P183226.
73/18 LOCALITY STEWARD – Council welcomed Mr Paul Norris, Locality Steward, Balfour Beatty, who provided an overview of his role and the challenges faced keeping the highway in good repair. The following information was noted:
- The highway was inspected annually throughout the Group Parish, with regular focused inspections undertaken weekly;
- Drainage works had been undertaken in Craswall;
- It was requested that the Lengthsman be utilised to maintain the gulleys and grips through the Parish;
- The B1203 and 1205 had been referred to Asset Management and would be considered for resurfacing works as part of the annual maintenance plan;
- 5,000 highway defects had been addressed during the winter of 2017. There were currently around 2,000 defects outstanding throughout the County;
- Patching was more efficient thani pothole repairs and this was undertaken where possible. The maximum size of a patch repair was approximately 20 square metres;
The following concerns were raised:
- Roads were left to deteriorate. Drainage needed to be addressed. It was acknowledged that poor drainage resulted in damage to the highway;
- There were not enough passing places and the existing ones were not wide enough. One result of this was ditch maintenance undertaken being undermined because vehicles drove over cleared ditches damaging them and filling them in again;
- Mr Norris agreed to accompany the Lengthsman and identify works for him to undertake;
- It was agreed to provide maps identifying all the assets within the Parish;
- A request for white lining had been submitted;
- Mr Norris would request a sign for the U75012 Hill Road as previously requested.
Council thanked Mr Norris for his attendance.
74/18 ADOPT MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING – It was RESOLVED that the Minutes of the Council Meeting held on 19th September 2018 be agreed and signed as a correct record.
75/18 OPEN DISCUSSION – There were no members of the public present.
76/18 POLICE – Council had received no Police update for consideration.
77/18 WARD COUNCILLOR – Council received apologies for absence from Cllr Jinman, and noted his written report submitted.
78/18 PLANNING APPLICATIONS
It was agreed to submit the following responses:
|183186||White Haywood Farm, Craswall, Hereford, Herefordshire, HR2 0PH||LBS: The removal and reconstruction of sections of blockwork and stonework walls from the utility room of the property following a spillage of domestic heating oil||No objection|
|183609||Proberts Farm, Hill Lane, Craswall||Proposed retrospective addition of open sided single bay for lambing shelter and woodburning stove chimney to enclosed shelter area.||Request that a decision is deferred until the Parish Council had been able to arrange a site visit.|
|183226||Blackhill Farm, Craswall, Hereford, HR2 0PH||Proposed muck store.||No objection|
|183273||Upper Ponthendre Barn, Longtown, HR2 0LT||Single storey rear annexe extension||No objection|
It was agreed to arrange a site visit regarding planning application P183609 so that Councillors could visit the site to better understand the proposal.
79/18 GRANTS, REFUSALS & APPEALS
The following decisions by Herefordshire Council were noted.
|182791||Lower Blackhill||Proposed muck store. Covered existing sheep handling||Approved with conditions|
|182861||Town Farm||Proposed Muck Store||Approved with conditions|
|174671||Land lying south of High House, Llanveynoe||Retrospective – Material change of use of siting of caravans with associated roof canopy and timber screening.||Appeal|
80/18 FINANCES & POLICY
(a) Payment of Accounts – Council approved the payment of accounts for October 2018:
|Eyelid Productions Ltd||Website||£100.00||£0.00||£100.00|
|Microshade Ltd||Citrix Cloud Hosting||£318.00||£63.60||£381.60|
|Noticeboard Company||New notice board||£443.00||£88.60||£531.60|
|PKF Littlejohn||Annual Audit||£200.00||£40.00||£240.00|
|Longtown Castles Project||Printing leaflets||£266.00||£0.00||£266.00|
(b) Longtown Village Pride – Following consideration, Council RESOLVED to award a grant of £125 to this organisation. Funding would go towards maintenance and grass cutting.
(c) Parish Precept – Council noted the 2019/20 budget. It was agreed to consider this at the Council meeting on 21st November 2018.
(d) Llanveynoe Telephone Box – Council RESOLVED to commission the electrician to install the defibrillator. Once this had been completed training would be organised.
(e) School Meeting – Council noted that the meeting with the school would take place on 9th November 2018. An update would be received at the Council meeting on 21st November 2018.
(f) National Litter Innovation Fund – Council noted that Herefordshire Council had temporarily removed and replaced the litter bin in Longtown with a “Take your litter home” sign.
81/10 LENGTHSMAN WORKS
(a) Lengthsman Works – Cllr Hope had met up with the Lengthsman and agreed outstanding works to be undertaken.
(b) Pothole Repairs/Public Realm – Council agreed to submit a response to Herefordshire Council’s Scrutiny Committee. Concerns raised would include a recommendation that potholes should be patched rather than filled in separately, a larger budget allocated to highway maintenance, maintenance schedules to be more geographically focused and the prioritising of ditching works.
(c) Appointment of Footpath Officer – Council agreed to put an article in the Parish News asking for a volunteer to become the Footpath Officer for Longtown.
82/18 NEIGHBOURHOOD PLAN UPDATE – Council noted that the NDP had been completed and it was agreed to submit it to Herefordshire Council for the Regulation 14 consultation.
83/18 PARISH NOTICE BOARDS – Council noted that the new notice board had been purchased and erected. There was no update regarding the agreed refurbishment of the Longtown notice board.
84/18 LONGTOWN VILLAGE HALL – Council noted that the meeting to discuss the proposals for a children’s play area would take place on 28th October 2018.
85/18 CODE OF CONDUCT – Following consideration, Council RESOLVED to adopt the revised Code of Conduct adopted by Herefordshire Council on 25th May 2018. New interest forms would be completed by Members.
86/18 NOTE THE CORRESPONDENCE SHEET
Council noted the correspondence received over the previous month:
- Locality Steward Weekly Briefings – October 2018
- Herefordshire Council, Road Closures October 2018 – Update to programme
- Herefordshire Rural Hub October 2018 newsletter
- Police Newsletter – October 2018
- HALC Information Corner – September 2018
87/18 DATE OF NEXT MEETING – Council noted that the next meeting would take place on Wednesday 21st November 2018 at 7:30pm at Longtown Village Hall.
There being no other business the Chair thanked members for their attendance and closed the meeting at 10:09pm.