Minutes of the Longtown Group Parish Council meeting held on Wednesday 15th November 2017 at 7.30pm in Longtown Village Hall.
PRESENT – Mrs J Cecil (Chair), Mr P Hope, Mrs G Watkins, Mrs L Watkins and Ms D Palmer.
IN ATTENDANCE – Mrs L Cowles (Clerk).
- ACCEPT APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE – Mrs P Tribe, Mr N Powell, Ward Councillor Peter Jinman, Mr T Griffiths (Lengthsman) and the police.
- RECEIVE DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST & CONSIDER ANY WRITTEN APPLICATIONS FOR DISPENSATION – There were no declarations of interest or written applications for dispensation.
- ADOPT MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS ORDINARY MEETING – 18th October 2017 -The minutes were signed as a true and accurate record.
- OPEN DISCUSSION – No members of the public attended the meeting and therefore no specific points were raised.
- Ward Councillor Peter Jinman – Councillor Jinman’s report had been distributed to Councillors via email prior to the meeting and included: –
Notification of public meetings
Road works along the A465
Planning applications are currently running 20% above the usual level
Adopting a Neighbourhood Plan
A full report is available via the Longtown Parish Council website, or on request, from the Clerk.
Ms D Palmer joined the meeting.
- Local Police -The police were unable to attend the meeting but had informed the Clerk prior to the meeting that they would be moving to the Fire Station in Peterchurch, potentially next week (planned for 22nd November). After the move the local services from them would remain the same.
- Lengthsman report and road defects – The Lengthsman was unable to attend the meeting but had met with Mrs Cecil, Mr Hope and the Clerk the previous evening to discuss works already invoiced for September and October. After reporting back to the Parish Council, it was agreed to pay the September and October invoices but to supervise and monitor the Lengthsman more closely in future. The Lengthsman will also be providing one free additional maintenance day in November. It will be requested that the Lengthsman advise Councillors when he will be working in the area to enable them to check work completed. Correspondence has been received from a local resident regarding Penhewy Lane which was noted. It was agreed to send the Lengthsman to work on the drains in Penhewy Lane and report the potholes, bridge railings and major drainage works to the Locality Steward.
Mrs G Watkins and Mr N Powell have also inspected the U75014 in Craswall again where overhanging branches have previously been reported. The situation has improved since the last visit in July and some hedges have been trimmed. It was agreed to respond to the property owner to enquire if this work was sufficient to reach his property, alternatively please advise the Parish Council of specific problem areas and identify the landowner.
- CLERKS UPDATE – Planning application 173452, Court Llaca Barn has been granted.
Toby Murcott is in the process of putting together a complaint regarding broadband faults in the area to Openreach, please advise him if you have any ongoing faults. Mr Andrew Curr, the new Community Broker has confirmed he can attend the January parish council meeting. There is a briefing event at Hereford Cathedral on Tuesday 28th November regarding the weeping window poppy installation which is coming to Hereford Cathedral between 14th March and 29th April 2018. The pre-consultation of Herefordshire Councils Local Plan for Travellers Development runs from 6th November until 18th December.
Herefordshire Council has requested information regarding litter/litter picks within the Parish, it was agreed to advise that the WI have previously organised a litter pick. The Locality Steward has reported all the road defects from his recent parish tour of Llanveynoe with Mrs Tribe and the culvert problem at Glandwr is nearly resolved. It has been confirmed that the snow clearance contractors will need to contact the dedicated ‘snow phone’ for authorisation to clear the snow. The Clerk requested approval to attend a Data Protection training course on 28th November, which was approved.
- CONSIDER PLANNING
- PLANNING APPLICATION – TO NOTE PARISH COUNCILS RESPONSE
Site: Land at Craswall, Adj. Forest House, Craswall, Herefordshire. HR2 0PN
Description: Proposed agricultural building
Application No: 173596 Grid Ref: 328925:235040
THE PARISH COUNCIL HAD RESPONDED WITH NO OBJECTIONS TO THIS APPLICATION
7.2 PLANNING APPLICATION
Site: Campsite, Old Mill, Craswall, Herefordshire. HR2 0PN
Description: Proposed erection of new livestock/manure building and new livestock handling
Application No: 173646 Grid Ref: 328934:235436
7.3 PLANNING PERMISSION GRANTED
Site: Great Blackhill, Craswall, Herefordshire. HR2 0PH
Description: Proposed cattle building and muck store.
Application No: 173289 Grid Ref. 329656:233536
7.4 PLANNING PERMISSION GRANTED
Site: Middle Hunt House, Walterstone, Herefordshire. HR2 0DY
Description: Proposed change of building use from commercial to domestic as ancillary
accommodation for staff and guests at Middle Hunt House.
Application No: 172873 Grid Ref: 333416:226235
- PLANNING PERMISSION GRANTED
Site: Great Trelandon, Longtown, Herefordshire
Description: Proposed amendment to approved scheme (application no. 153443) rear extension
enlargement to ground and first floors including higher ridge level, change of wall
facing materials from timber cladding to natural stone and timber balcony to
Application No: 173374 Grid Ref: 333260:230121
- PLANNING APPLICATION WITHDRAWN
Site: Upper Blaen Farm, Llanveynoe, Longtown
Description: Proposed renovation of existing farmhouse and barn together with conversion of
beudy holiday let.
Application No: 172407 Grid Ref: 327241:233823
7.7 PLANNING APPLICATION
Site: Great Cwmcoched, Longtown, Herefordshire. HR2 0PA
Description: Proposed agricultural building
Application No: 174083 Grid Ref: 332006:226835
8.1 Confirmation of updated bank balance – £12,843.31 issued 9th November 2017.
- Receipts – £1318.22 VAT repayment 01/04/17 – 31/08/17 and £881.00 Neighbourhood Plan Frontrunner fund claim.
- Payment to Mr T Griffiths, invoice no. TGC0176 – Roads Account September 2017 (1) of £382.00 plus VAT and invoice no. TGC0182 – Roads Account October 2017 (1) of £382.00 plus VAT. (deferred from October meeting) and invoice no. TGC0199 – Roads Account October 2017 (2) of £382.00 plus VAT – Payment agreed.
- Payment to Mrs L Cowles for November Clerks’ hours and £22.49 plus VAT printer ink – Payment agreed.
- Payment to HALC of £30.00 plus VAT for ‘In the hot seat’ training course on 03/07/17 – Payment agreed.
- Payment to Grant Thornton of £100.00 plus VAT for External Audit 2017 – Payment agreed.
- Payment to K. Pritchard of £510.00 for installation of defibrillators at Craswall and Walterstone Village Halls and approve transfer from business savings account – Payment and transfer agreed.
- Donation of £450.00 each to Craswall, Longtown and Walterstone Village Halls – Payment agreed.
- Donation of £180.00 to Dore Community Transport – Payment agreed.
- PARISH PRECEPT – It was agreed to increase the Parish Precept for 2018/19 to £17,030.
- LENGTHSMAN 2018/19 TENDERS – An advertisement had been included in the December/January Parish Newsletter. The Golden Valley News were unable to take the advert. It has been included on the Longtown Group Twitter and Facebook pages. It was agreed that the Clerk would request to have it included in the Hereford Times.
- COMMUNITY GOVERNANCE REVIEW- Herefordshire Council is carrying out a Community Governance Review in the Longtown Group Parish. In 2016 the parish council expressed an interest in separating the parish of Walterstone from the group and instead amalgamating Walterstone with Ewyas Harold group parish council. The matter was originally raised as the school, shop and church in Ewyas Harold are geographically closer and when conducting the Neighbourhood Plan questionnaire some residents expressed an interest in exploring the possibility of joining another group parish council. When the opportunity arose the parish council felt that the review would give local residents an opportunity to express their opinions. The review will consult with both parish councils, community groups, schools, Ward Councillors and local political parties amongst others. There will be an initial consultation period along with consultations on the draft proposals during 2018 with a report being sent to Herefordshire full Council in October 2018.
The parish council agreed the Terms of Reference and the following submission statement ‘When considering the Neighbourhood Plan questionnaire in 2015 some residents expressed the view that Walterstone should join Ewyas Harold group parish council. When Longtown Group parish council were offered the opportunity of a review the parish council felt it would give local residents an opportunity to express their opinions’
- DARK SKIES PROJECT IN THE GOLDEN VALLEY – Mrs J Cecil and Ms J Jones had attended a group meeting to hear an update on the project developments. Longtown, Vowchurch and Peterchurch Parish Councils have all expressed an interest in Dark Skies projects through their Neighbourhood Plans. Local schools and community groups will be invited to take part with a grand launch event probably in Spring/Summer 2018 plus other events.
- MEETING WITH LONGTOWN SCHOOL – Mrs J Cecil and Mrs P Tribe met with Jane Edwards from the School to discuss road safety outside the school and the possible use of the school playground during holidays. The school are also concerned about road safety. Solutions discussed were reducing the speed limit to 20mph, speed bumps, improved signage, additional after school clubs, regular visits from the Police and potential sites for parents’ car parking. Miss Edwards confirmed that the village hall car park was too far away and a request to use the car park at the Baptist Chapel had been refused. The idea of developing a footpath behind the school rather than walk along the road was discussed and could be developed in the future.
The school have had problems with damage and misuse of the school playground which is why it has been fenced off and confirmed they have no obligation to keep it open during the holidays. Options explored were the installation of CCTV and opening the playground for a set time during the summer holidays. It was asked how many children would actually use the facility if it was open during the holidays? There is another meeting due to take place on 6th December with Jane Edwards and a group of parents. It was agreed that the meeting had been very positive and both groups look forward to working together to develop a positive interactive relationship. As there are currently vacancies on the parish council it may give an opportunity to encourage one or two parents to join the parish council.
- HEREFORDSHIRE WALKING FESTIVAL 2018 – It was agreed that at this time there was nobody available to lead walks within the parish for the Herefordshire Walking Festival in June 2018.
- NEIGHBOURHOOD PLAN – A draft copy of the plan is currently being reviewed by Data Orchard to see if it would be acceptable to Herefordshire Council. There is another steering group meeting scheduled for next week.
- BT PHONE BOXES – It was agreed to adopt the phone kiosk in Llanveynoe, HR2 0NQ for £1 after which the defibrillator can be installed.
- DECEMBER/JANUARY NEWSLETTER – Lengthsman tender 2018/19, Community Governance Review, Dark Sky project, BT phone box adoption, Parish Council meeting in January and defibrillator training in Craswall village hall.
- NOTE THE CORRESPONDENCE SHEET – The correspondence sheet was noted.
- RAISE MATTERS FOR THE NEXT SCHEDULED ORDINARY MEETING – 17th January 2018 at 7.30pm in Longtown Village Hall – None at present.
The Chair declared the meeting closed at 2140