LONGTOWN GROUP PARISH COUNCIL
Craswall, Llanveynoe, Longtown and Walterstone
Minutes of Longtown Group Parish Council meeting held on Wednesday 15th October 2014 at 8.00pm in Longtown Village Hall.
PRESENT – Mr N Cowles (Chairman), Mr D Freeman, Mrs P Tribe, Mrs R Pritchard, Miss R Goodwin, Mr P Hope, Mr N Powell, Ms J Jones.
IN ATTENDANCE – Mrs L Cowles (Clerk), Councillor Graham Powell and Mr T Griffiths (Lengthsman).
1. ACCEPT APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE – Ms D Palmer, Mr J Hardy and PCSO Fiona Witcher.
2. RECEIVE DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST – There were no declarations of interest.
3. ADOPT MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING – 17TH September 2014 – The minutes were signed as a true and accurate record.
4. OPEN DISCUSSION – No members of the public attended the meeting and therefore no specific points were raised.
5.1 Ward Councillor Graham Powell – Councillor Powell’s report included:-
Mobile Infrastructure Project
A full report is available, on request, from the Clerk.
Whilst visibility splays had been cut Mr N Powell asked Councillor Powell why the grass verges were cut so late this year as it appeared to be a waste of time and money. Councillor Powell advised that Herefordshire Council has a legal obligation to cut visibility splays. Verges were cut later this year; although only four weeks late. In previous years verges had been cut earlier, this too had received objections, which is why the date had been changed. There had also been a dispute between Balfour Beatty and their contractors which had been resolved late and therefore work did not start as planned.
5.2 Local Police – PCSO Fiona Witcher was unable to attend the meeting.
Ms J Jones joined the meeting
The Lengthsman has been working on the C1203 between TyButton and Clodock Mill, the drains were blocked and gulley’s covered, these have now been cleared.
Work has also been done on the C1205 Longtown to Michaelchurch road; ditch work has been completed on maintenance days although there were some ditches that needed extra work. Terry thanked landowners who had been co-operative and reminded Councillors of ditch ownership and maintenance responsibilities. Terry has had little communication with the Locality Steward so at present is continuing with clearing line drainage before moving on to open ditches. As there is approximately £5500 left in the Lengthsman budget for this financial year it was agreed to increase the maintenance days to two per month.
There is a collapsed culvert up to Little Black Hill and an on-going issue with BT where a pole has broken a drainage pipe.
6. CLERKS UPDATE
The Clerk advised that Herefordshire Council had submitted their Core Strategy to the Secretary of State on 23rd September 2014; the submission documents are available on their website.
There is an Affordable Warmth/Poverty Information afternoon on 23rd October 2014 from 2.00pm in Weobley village Hall. Balfour Beatty is also holding an Annual Plan Consultation Exhibition on 23rd October 2014 at The Shire Hall, Hereford. Sessions will be running at 10.00am, 2.00pm and 6.00pm.
The HALC Training Programme is available for 2014/15. It was agreed that the Clerk can attend some courses.
The Clerk was still waiting to hear from the Monitoring Officer regarding granting a dispensation for the Chairman to discuss the Clerks wages.
A letter has been received from Longtown Village Pride; the contents of which were noted. It was agreed that the Clerk would respond advising that no decision has been made regarding the position of a dog waste bin in Longtown. The Clerk was awaiting a response from Rose Lane with her views on a dog waste bin in the area of Salem Chapel.
A letter has been received from the Longtown Village Hall Management Committee requesting a contribution towards the new kitchen fund at the village hall. It was noted that the Parish Council currently donates £300.00 per year to each village hall and questions were raised as to whether the Parish Council should send an additional donation to only one of the village halls. It was proposed by Mr Freeman and seconded by Mrs Pritchard for the Clerk to write to all the village halls asking if they needed donations, but for a specific item, this was unanimously agreed.
Miss R Goodwin left the meeting
7. CONSIDER PLANNING
7.1 PLANNING PERMISSION GRANTED
Site: Lower Wernddu, Rowlestone, Herefordshire. HR2 0ED
Description: Proposed change of use from an agricultural farm and dwelling
house to a mixed use site (Part C2 residential institution and part
agricultural) to create agritherapy centre for Jamie’s farm trust.
Application No: P142228/F Grid Ref: 335229:229197
7.2 PLANNING PERMISSION GRANTED
Site: The Smithy, Upper Cwm Farm, Llanveynoe Herefordshire. HR2 0ND
Description: Conversion of Smithy to walkers overnight accommodation
Application No: P142126/F Grid Ref: 330631:231097
7.3 AGRICULTURAL & FORESTRY DEVELOPMENT – PLANNING PERMISSION IS REQUIRED
Site: Cwm Bolouge Farm Buildings, Dulas, Herefordshire. HR2 0HW
Description: Proposed erection of steel framed building
Application No: P142390/S Grid Ref: 335089:229618
7.4 PRIOR APPROVAL GRANTED
Site: Stone Barn, Mynydd-Ferddin Farm, Rowlestone. HR2 0ED
Description: Conversion of Stone Barn to two dwellings
Application No: P142135/CU Grid Ref: 335232: 228667
7.5 APPEAL DECISION
Site: Land at Old Shawls Farm, Craswall, Herefordshire. HR2 0PW
Description: Proposed new house, office, tack room and layby.
Appeal Ref: APP/W1850/A/14/2212776
THE APPEAL IS DISMISSED
7.6 PLANNING PERMISSION
Site: Ferns Barn, Longtown, Herefordshire. HR2 0LD
Description: Proposed conversion of redundant agricultural barn into new dwelling
Application No: P143030/F Grid Ref: 332201:228832
The Parish Council commented that they would like local materials to be used and the roof to be in keeping with the local area, otherwise NO OBJECTION.
8.1 Bank balance as per statement number 176 dated 10th September 2014 is £8,979.24.
8.2 Receipts – 2nd precept payment £2765.00
8.3 Payment to Mr T Griffiths, invoice no. TGC1067 September 2014 of £275.00 plus VAT – Payment Agreed.
8.4 Payment to Mr T Griffiths, invoice no. TGC1076 September 2014 of £275.00 plus VAT – Payment Agreed.
8.5 Payment to Mrs Linda Cowles for September 2014 Clerk’s hours of £218.85 plus £6.00 stationery – Payment Agreed.
9. PARISH PRECEPT 2015/16 – It was agreed that the Clerk would produce a Budget for 2014/15 for the Precept to be discussed at the November meeting.
10. LENGTHSMAN SCHEME 2015/16 – In 2015/16 Herefordshire Council intends to launch a new Lengthsman scheme for Parish and Town Councils. The new scheme will be based around individual plans that Parish Councils will develop with their Locality Steward. These plans will include all work normally associated with the Lengthsman, but can also include the filling of category 3 and 4 potholes.
There are 80.27 kilometres of C and U roads within the parish. A budget of £100 per kilometre (funded by Herefordshire Council) is to be used to employ a suitably trained Lengthsman to carry out duties in line with the annual plan. The Parish Council then has an opportunity to top up this fund by applying to Herefordshire Council for an additional sum of up to a maximum of £100 per kilometre which must be match funded by the participating Council.
It was agreed that the Parish Council would consider a list of additional works to be completed by the Lengthsman and Terry would provide an estimate. As a rough guide Terry did suggest to allow an additional 25% in funding for the year.
11. PROVISION OF PARISH COUNCIL SANDBAGS 2014/15 – It was agreed to request an additional 50 sand bags to be stored at the Clerks address in Craswall.
12. LONGTOWN NEIGHBOURHOOD PLAN STRATEGIC ENVIRONMENTAL ASSESSMENT – It was agreed that no additional comments would be made at present as information was not available.
13. CODE OF CONDUCT – After attending a recent Code of Conduct information evening the Chairman reminded Councillors of their responsibilities to follow the adopted Code of Conduct.
14. STANDING ORDERS – Mr Freeman has begun the process of amending the Parish Councils current Standing Orders, when this is complete a draft copy would be available for the Parish Council to approve.
15. DORE COMMUNITY TRANSPORT – Defer to November meeting.
16. PLANNING SUB-COMMITTEE – The policy for dealing with planning applications between Parish Council meetings had been discussed many years ago. Whilst these do not happen frequently it is often the same Councillors who attend additional meetings which usually last approximately ten minutes. It was proposed by Mr N Powell and seconded by Mrs P Tribe that a policy would be drawn up to comment on non-contentious planning applications without the need for additional meetings. It was agreed that the Clerk would draw up a policy for approval.
17. REPORT NEW ROAD DEFECTS – Potholes on U75007 near Highfield House and C1203 near Great Blackhill Farm.
18. NOVEMBER NEWSLETTER ARTICLE – Lengthsman information, sandbag supplies, be seen at night.
19. NOTE THE CORRESPONDENCE SHEET – The correspondence sheet was noted.
20. RAISE MATTERS FOR THE NEXT SCHEDULED MEETING – Budget, Precept and Lengthsman.