Craswall, Llanveynoe, Longtown and Walterstone
Minutes of the Longtown Group Parish Council meeting held on Wednesday 17th February 2016 at 7.30pm in Longtown Village Hall.
PRESENT – Mr N Cowles (Chairman), Mr J Hardy, Mrs J Cecil, Mrs P Tribe, Ms D Palmer, Mr N Powell, Mrs G Watkins, Mr D Freeman, Mrs L Watkins and Ms J Jones.
IN ATTENDANCE – Mrs L Cowles (Clerk), Ward Councillor Graham Powell, Mr T Griffiths (Lengthsman) PCSO Fiona Witcher and one member of the public.
1. ACCEPT APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE – Mr P Hope.
2. RECEIVE DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST – There were no declarations on interest.
3. ADOPT MINUTES OF PREVIOUS ORDINARY MEETING – 12th January 2016 – The minutes were signed as a true and accurate record.
4. OPEN DISCUSSION – No specific points were raised.
5.1 Ward Councillor Graham Powell –Councillor Powell’s report had been distributed to Councillors by email prior to the meeting, which included:-
Herefordshire Schools Investment Strategy
Burnt Out Buildings, 16-18 High Town
Herefordshire Council Budget 2016/17
A full report is available, on request, from the Clerk or via the Longtown Parish Council website.
Councillors raised questions on the schools’ investment strategy, Ward Councillor Powell explained that no Ward Councillors had been in discussion with any schools. The schools would need to plan their own initiatives which could lead to some changes. Pupil numbers were increasing.
Mr Freeman asked what the long term plans for the site 16-18 High Town were, Councillor Powell explained it could possibly be used for retail, apartments or as an area for the new university. Plans should hopefully be known by the middle of the year.
Mr N Powell expressed his disappointment in the planned selling of council farms. Councillor Powell stated that the current system wasn’t working and that management over the last 30-40 years had not been good; notices range from approximately 12 – 22 months; the plans will affect one tenant farmer in the area.
5.2 Local Police – PCSO Witcher advised that there had been no further problems other than issues already covered on the weekly updates although motorbikes on the mountain continue to be an issue; the police had recently met with the Park Ranger to discuss. They would be having the new mobile police station in the area for 10 days in March, it was agreed that the best site for it would be the village shop in Longtown. Dates when they would be visiting will be advertised.
5.3 Lengthsman report and new road defects – The chairman has reviewed and signed off the latest worksheets. Terry has been re filling and repairing grit bins as requested. There is a need for additional blue bins, the council agreed that Terry could go ahead and organise these. It was suggested that the salt could be left in the bags within the bin.
The same road defects are being reported on a monthly basis, the Locality Steward will be attending the March parish council meeting; the clerk requested that councillors list specific road issues which could be given to her at the meeting.
New road defects
C1203 Craswall road, re occurring potholes near Cart & Wheel, blocked culvert near Lower Blackhill Farm and Cwm View.
C1219 Walterstone, pothole near Crossways Cottage and sinking drain cover near Great Hunt House.
Mr Powell requested information on where stiles and footpath sign posts can be obtained. The clerk confirmed that she could request from Balfour Beatty. The parish council were made aware that there has been an issue within the parish where a gate has been padlocked to an access point onto the mountain. The issue has been dealt with at present.
6. CLERKS UPDATE
The Bulls Head, Craswall has now been listed as an Asset of Community value.
Councillors have been emailed the latest proposed schedule of resurfacing works, any comments must be sent to Balfour Beatty by 18th March. A full and final schedule of works will be circulated in April.
Herefordshire Council are currently running a 6-week public consultation on the revised Statement of Community Involvement.
Herefordshire Community Champions nominations to be received before 14th March 2016.
7. CONSIDER PLANNING
7.1 PLANNING APPLICATION
Site: Llandraw Barn, Craswall, Herefordshire. HR2 0PW
Description: Propose to increase in size existing upper windows to south west gable
to form apex window.
Application No: 160023 Grid Ref: 330056:234227
7.2 PLANNING APPLICATION
Site: Little Trewern Farm, Longtown, Herefordshire. HR2 0LN
Description: Proposed shepherd’s hut in field, for use as holiday let.
Application No: 153793 Grid Ref: 331989:231057
7.3 PLANNING APPLICATION
Site: Grove Cottage, Walterstone, Herefordshire. HR2 0DT
Description: Proposed conservatory to side elevation.
Application No: 160213 Grid Ref: 335032:225082
7.4 PLANNING PERMISSION GRANTED
Site: Cwm Farm, Clodock, Longtown, Herefordshire. HR2 0PA
Description: Conversion of agricultural barn to residential and detached garage.
Application No: 153584 Grid Ref: 331624:226548
7.5 PLANNING PERMISSION GRANTED
Site: Great Trelandon, Longtown, Herefordshire. HR2 0LU
Description: Proposed first floor and ground floor extensions and replacement of
existing garage and porch.
Application No: 153443 Grid Ref: 333260:230121
8.1 Updated confirmation of bank balance – £6312.59 Statement Sheet No. 198 issued 10th February 2016.
8.2 Receipts – Lengthsman 2nd and 3rd quarter claims of £2375.00 and £2720.00
8.3 Payment to Mr T Griffiths, invoice no. TGC1471– December (4) of £450.00 plus VAT, TGC1481 – January (1) of £375.00 plus VAT, TGC1482 – January (2) of £375.00 plus VAT, invoice no. TGC1499 – January (3) of £375.00 plus VAT and invoice no. TGC1500 – January (4) of £350.00 plus VAT –Payment Agreed.
8.4 Payment to Mrs Linda Cowles for January 2016 Clerk’s hours – Payment Agreed.
8.5 Payment of HALC Affiliation and Subscription fee 2016/17 of £474.79 plus VAT – Defer to April meeting.
8.6 Re payment to Groundwork UK for unused Neighbourhood Planning Grant – The Clerk advised that a figure of £1551.27 will need to be returned to Groundwork UK. An end of grant report will be sent to them by the end of February when they will confirm repayment figure to be returned within one month.
8.7 Payment for Jubilee tree guard – A bill of £100 has been received – Payment Agreed. Mrs Tribe also requested that a plaque be purchased to commemorate the occasion, it was agreed to include on the March agenda.
9. NEIGHBOURHOOD PLAN – A copy of the banner and posters were shown to the parish council; these would be displayed in the parish from 28th March. It was agreed that the parish council would seek the farmer’s permission to attach to relevant hedges etc. The banners would come down after collection of the questionnaires. Mr Freeman now has all the printed questionnaires; dates of delivery will be 9th – 12th April for collection on 23rd – 26th April. Details plans have been drawn up for delivery, Mr Freeman requested agreement from the parish council to spend approximately £150.00 on village maps, the clerk advised that she already had some maps of the area which may be suitable.
10. LENGTHSMAN SCHEME 2016/17 – Funding from Herefordshire Council for the 2016/17 Lengthsman scheme would remain the same. It was agreed that the parish council would match fund again by £1000. It was also agreed that the Annual Maintenance Plan will remain the same as 2015/16.
11. DEFIBRILLATOR – Training date of 23rd March 2016 at 7.30pm in Longtown village hall was agreed.
12. QUEEN’S 90TH BIRTHDAY CELEBRATIONS – Mrs Tribe has been asked by Parishioners if the Parish Council would be marking the Queen’s 90th birthday the weekend of 11/12th June. It was agreed that requests for ideas would be included in the March Newsletter
13. KEMBLE CENTRE, EWYAS HAROLD – It was agreed to invite a representative from Ewyas Harold Parish Council to the March meeting to discuss the proposed development at Kemble Centre, Ewyas Harold.
14. MARCH NEWSLETTER ARTICLE – Queen’s 90th birthday celebrations and defibrillator training.
15. NOTE THE CORRESPONDENCE SHEET – The correspondence sheet was noted.
16. RAISE MATTERS FOR THE NEXT SCHEDULED MEETING – 16th March 2016 at 7.30pm in Craswall Village Hall. Craswall and Llanveynoe Parish meeting followed by Parish Council meeting. – Fuel Poverty, Jubilee Plaque, Locality Steward, Queen’s 90th birthday celebrations.
The Chairman declared the meeting closed at 2105.