LONGTOWN GROUP PARISH COUNCIL
Craswall, Llanveynoe, Longtown and Walterstone
Minutes of Longtown Group Parish Council meeting held on Wednesday 18th February 2015 at 7.30pm in Longtown Village Hall
PRESENT – Mr N Cowles (Chairman), Mr J Hardy, Mr D Freeman, Mrs P Tribe, Mr N Powell, Mrs J Probert, Mrs R Pritchard and Mr P Hope.
IN ATTENDANCE – Mrs L Cowles (Clerk) and Mr T Griffiths (Lengthsman).
1. ACCEPT APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE – Ms D Palmer, Mr G Powell and PCSO Fiona Witcher.
2. RECEIVE DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST – Mr D Freeman declared a non-disclosable pecuniary interest in agenda item 7.5; the declarations book was signed accordingly.
3. ADOPT MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING – 21st January 2015 – The minutes were signed as a true and accurate record.
4. OPEN DISCUSSION – No members of the public attended the meeting and therefore no specific points were raised.
5.1 Ward Councillor Graham Powell – Councillor Powell’s report was read by the Clerk, which included:-
Herefordshire Council 2015/16 Budget
Public Realm Works 2015/16
Hereford United FC
Delivering Differently in Neighbourhoods
Herefordshire Core Strategy
A465 Temporary Speed Limits
Planning Application 121539 Llanveynoe
Mobile Infrastructure Project
A full report is available, on request, from the Clerk
5.2 Local Police – The Police were unable to attend the meeting.
Mr P Hope joined the meeting
Councillors received the Lengthsman records of works for January and February; any requested additional works were unanimously agreed. It was also agreed that Mr Cowles will contact the landowners at New Hunthouse Farm and the Clerk would write to the owners at Court Farm raising the relevant issues as mentioned in the report.
6. CLERKS UPDATE
The Pre election purdah would now run from 30th March – 7th May 2015.
The Prospective Candidate nomination papers for Parish Council elections have been received. Councillors were advised that these must be handed into the Elections Office in Hereford by 4pm on 9th April 2015 at the very latest. Appointment can be made with electoral services for the forms to be checked, these would need to be booked as soon as possible. It was expected that election notices would be displayed from 23rd March, thereafter nominations can begin.
Any Frontrunner neighbourhood planning grant requests must be submitted by 27th February 2015.
Ewyas Harold Parish Council has begun the consultation of their draft Neighbourhood Plan which will run from 16th February – 29th March 2015.
A response to the Clerk’s letter has been received from Rebecca Smith, the contents of which were noted.
Balfour Beatty will be holding a Parish Briefing on Tuesday 17th and Thursday 19th March 2015 on the Public Realm Annual Plan 2015/16 starting at 7.00pm at Balfour Beatty Thorn Offices, Rotherwas.
Graham Powell has spoken to the planning department and the County Land Agent, Mr George Thompson over concerns with planning 121539, Barn at Upper Cwm Farm, Llanveynoe. Councillor Powell will arrange to meet Mr Thompson and will provide an update to the Parish Council as soon as possible.
7. CONSIDER PLANNING
7.1 PLANNING PERMISSION GRANTED (29th October 2014)
Site: Upper Olchon, Llanveynoe, Herefordshire
Description: Change of use of 3 no fields from agriculture to amenity. Seasonal erection
of four yurt units on wooden platforms to provide holiday accommodation
and 10 no short stay camping pitches for touring tents (March to October).
Renovation of redundant railway wagons for a shower block, field kitchen
and log store. Renovation of a redundant lorry back for additional storage,
compost toilets and solar photovoltaic and solar thermal panels for hot water
Application No: P130409/F Grid Ref: 328427:231613
7.2 PLANNING PERMISSION GRANTED (11th December 2014)
Site: Ferns Barn, Longtown, Herefordshire. HR2 0LD
Description: Proposed conversion of redundant agricultural barn into a new dwelling.
Application No: P143030/F Grid Ref: 332201:228832
7.3 PLANNING PERMISSION GRANTED
Site: Wernwen, Craswall, Herefordshire. HR2 0PP
Description: Replace existing farm building with new steel framed building
Application No: P143560/F Grid Ref: 330785:232988
7.4 PLANNING PERMISSION/LISTED BUILDING CONSENT GRANTED
Site: Barn at Lower Ponthendre, Longtown, Herefordshire.
Description: Proposed conversion, alteration and refurbishment of the existing stone
agricultural farm complex to two dwellings
Application No: P143474/F & P143475/L Grid Ref: 332662:227989
7.5 PLANNING PERMISSION
Site: Hillside, Rhiw Road, Longtown, Herefordshire. HR2 0NJ
Description: Proposed re-surfacing of existing hardcore access track with concrete
Application No: P150295/F Grid Ref: 327990:231890
Parish Council comments – Longtown Group Parish Council have received some objections to the plan, with concerns over the colour. Can anything be done to rectify this? Will the Planning Department look into previous judgements on similar issues.
7.6 PLANNING PERMISSION
Site: Allt yr Ynys, Walterstone, Herefordshire.
Description: (Retrospective) – The conversion of Allt yr Ynys from a hotel (C1 use)
to a dwelling (C3 use). The change of use of outbuildings from detached
facets of the hotel (C3 use) to individual units of holiday accommodation
(C3 use – albeit with occupancy restricted to holiday use only). The provision
of solar panels on the rear (south) roof plane of the easterly located
outbuilding. The re-roofing of the listed building including (at a later date)
the attached link building under a metal box profile sheet.
Application No: P143645/F Grid Ref: 333563:223433
7.7 PLANNING PERMISSION
Site: Yew Tree Cottage, Craswall, Herefordshire. HR2 0PN
Description: Proposed new garage, stable & tack room
Application No: P150251/FH Grid Ref: 328696:234670
8.1 Bank balance as per statement number 185 dated 12th January 2015 is £10,622.47.
8.2 Receipts – £1903.50 3rd Quarter Lengthsman payment.
8.3 Payment to Mr D Freeman for refreshments at Neighbourhood Planning meeting of £16.60 – Payment Agreed.
8.4 Payment to Mrs Linda Cowles for January 2015 Clerk’s hours of £239.65 plus £100.00 expenses for home office use January – December 2014, £5.99 stationery and £14.88 stamps – Payment Agreed.
8.5 Payment to Mr T Griffiths, invoice no. TGC1160, January 2015 Roads account of £275.00 plus VAT – Payment Agreed.
8.6 Payment to Mr T Griffiths, invoice no. TGC1168, January 2015 Roads Account of £275.00 plus VAT – Payment Agreed.
8.7 Payment to Mr T Griffiths, invoice no. TGC1173, February 2015 Roads Account of £275.00 plus VAT – Payment Agreed.
8.8 Payment to Mr T Griffiths, invoice no. TGC1174, February 2015 Roads Account of £275.00 plus VAT – Payment Agreed.
9. NEIGHBOURHOOD PLAN – The Steering group had met on 11th February and whilst the pre election purdah begins in March, work will continue behind the scenes in organising posters, flyers and meetings etc. Dates have been provisionally booked to hold local parish information evenings in Craswall on 18th May, Walterstone on 19th May and Longtown on 21st May. Clerk to book the halls. Investigations were on-going with regard to engaging a consultation firm and obtaining grant funding.
10. ENHANCED LENGTHSMAN SCHEME 2015/16 – Mr Cowles and the Clerk had attended an information evening on 3rd February 2015. The enhanced scheme would give the Parish Council more control over issues with drainage, signs (unlit), highway minor works, environmental and community. This would also include repairing some minor potholes. The Parish Council are not obligated to contribute any additional funds from the precept into the scheme and can continue with the Lengthsman grant of £120.00 per kilometre of road provided by Herefordshire Council.
It was agreed that Terry Griffiths would advise Councillors of additional costs involved in completing any works not covered by his present remit.
It was proposed by Mr Cowles to contribute an additional £1000 to the scheme which was seconded by Mr Hope. This amount would then be match funded by Herefordshire Council, giving the Parish Council £12,032 to spend on the enhanced Lengthsman scheme in the next financial year.
As part of the new scheme Herefordshire Council will no longer fund the 10% administration costs currently paid to the Clerk. It was proposed by Mr Freeman that the Parish Council would continue to pay the Clerk to administer the scheme at the same rate of 10% of the grant; this was seconded by Mr Powell.
It was unanimously agreed that Mr Cowles would be the Parish Council Lengthsman Co-ordinator, monitoring works completed and liaising with Terry Griffiths and the Clerk over any additional programme of works.
11. DEFIBRILLATOR – Mrs Tribe reported that the W.I. had expressed an interest in donating to a charitable cause and would like to consider helping towards costs of a defibrillator to be kept within the Parish. It was thought that there was no First Responder currently based within the Parish and would a defibrillator be beneficial in Longtown? It was agreed that the Clerk would look into the feasibility of funding/using a defibrillator.
12. HEREFORDSHIRE COUNCIL & BALFOUR BEATTY ANNUAL PLAN – It was noted that potholes still needed filling on the U75004 and ideally this road would need to be re-surfaced. It was also noted that some works on the C1219, Allt-yr-Ynys to Walterstone had recently been completed. Clerk to advise Ward Councillor.
13. REPORT NEW ROAD DEFECTS – Potholes reported on C1218 near Oaklea, Hunt House Lane. C1205 near Tan House, Longtown. U75009, The Goods, Craswall. Ditches need clearing on U74407, Penrhewr Lane, Longtown.
14. MARCH NEWSLETTER ARTICLE – Elections and Enhanced Lengthsman scheme.
15. NOTE THE CORRESPONDENCE SHEET – The Correspondence sheet was noted.
16. RAISE MATTERS FOR THE NEXT SCHEDULED MEETING – Defibrillator.
The Chairman declared the meeting closed at 8.50pm