LONGTOWN GROUP PARISH COUNCIL
Craswall, Llanveynoe, Longtown and Walterstone
Minutes of the Longtown Group Parish Council meeting held on
Wednesday 18th October 2017 at 8.00pm in Longtown Village Hall.
PRESENT – Mrs J Cecil (Chair), Mr P Hope, Mrs P Tribe, Mrs G Watkins, Mr N Powell, Ms D Palmer and Ms J Jones.
IN ATTENDANCE – Mrs L Cowles (Clerk), Mr T Griffiths (Lengthsman) and one member of the public.
1. ACCEPT APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE – Mrs L Watkins, Mr P Jinman and PCSO Fiona Witcher.
2. RECEIVE DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST & CONSIDER ANY WRITTEN APPLICATIONS FOR DISPENSATION – Ms J Jones declared a non-disclosable interest in agenda item 7.3; the declarations book was signed accordingly. There were no written applications for dispensation.
3. ADOPT MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS ORDINARY MEETING – 20th September 2017 – The minutes were signed as a true and accurate record.
4. OPEN DISCUSSION – The member of the public present addressed Parish Councillors with his objections to planning application no. 173596, main points being the site and surrounding area, loss of visual amenity, household drinking water contamination, potential impact upon drinking water supplies (neighbouring properties), nuisance from noise, smell and light pollution, impact on planning permission SH891942PF, site history and risk of further development, uncontrolled/unauthorised development.
As Parish Councillors had only received his written objections that afternoon, it was requested that they have time to read all correspondence before making a decision. It was agreed that the Clerk would ask the planning department for an extension to comment whilst the Parish Council agreed their response and an extraordinary meeting would be called if necessary.
5.1 Local Police – The local police were unable to attend the meeting.
5.2 Lengthsman report – Mr Griffiths reported that as funding had been squeezed many roads that are visited have not had such intensive works completed. Would the Parish Council prefer him to concentrate on the larger roads and leave some of the smaller ones?
Mr Griffiths was asked by the Chair how he completed his work sheet, were all the drains on the specified roads cleared as both Mrs Cecil and Mr Hope have jointly made an inspection of his work and clearly on some roads listed no work had been done. Mr Griffiths explained that if work had been done on a drain they would be marked with a coloured spray which changes colour each month. Mrs Cecil and Mr Hope’s concerns were that nothing seems to have changed in the last 6 months, some drains through Longtown have not been cleared along with Penrhrwy Lane and near Llanwonog and there has been no evidence of spray other than jobs completed on 13th October. Mr Griffiths was asked if he could change his worksheets to include the road numbers visited and advise how many drains had actually been cleared. It was agreed that Mr Griffiths would return with his team on Thursday or Friday this week and liaise with Mr Hope what needs to be done. It was agreed to defer payment of this recent invoices until the work had been completed to the Parish Councils satisfaction. The Parish Council would like clarification on how he does his worksheets, are they spending more time travelling rather than covering a small area, can he advise when the team will be visiting and which area they will be covering, can he mark the drains which have been looked at even if nothing is done?
Large pothole reported on U75007 in Llanveynoe before the church. It was requested that the Clerk contact the Locality Steward to obtain his report after the recent Llanveynoe parish tour.
6. CLERKS UPDATE
A thank you letter has been received from Longtown Village Pride for the recent donation. Ward Councillor Peter Jinman’s report had been emailed to Parish Councillors prior to the meeting. HALC training schedule covering October – December 2017 saw emailed to Councillors prior to the meeting. The Longtown Village Hall committee have asked again when the safe will be moved. Dates – Village Assets Seminar – 26th October. Balfour Beatty Parish Briefings 10th November at the Kingsland depot at 3pm or 15th November at the Thorn depot at 6pm.
Mr N Powell asked for confirmation of the current of the snow clearing arrangements, it was agreed the Clerk would contact the Locality Steward for clarification.
7. CONSIDER PLANNING
7.1 PLANNING APPLICATION
Site: Great Trelandon, Longtown, Herefordshire.
Description: Proposed amendment to approved scheme (application no. 153443) rear extension
enlargement to ground and first floors including higher ridge level, change of wall
facing materials from timber cladding to natural stone and timber balcony to north
Application No: 173374 Grid Ref: 333260:230121
7.2 PLANNING APPLICATION
Site: Court Llaca Barn, Court Llaca, Trewern Road, Longtown, Herefordshire. HR2 0LW
Description: Proposed reinstatement of lean to extension with glazed link
Application No: 173452 Grid Ref: 332124:230579
7.3 PLANNING APPLICATION
Site: Land at Craswall, Adj. Forest House, Craswall, Herefordshire. HR2 0PN
Description: Proposed agricultural building
Application No: 173596 Grid Ref: 328925:235040
DEFER UNTIL AFTER CORRESPONDENCE HAS BEEN READ BY PARISH COUNCILLORS
7.4 PLANNING APPLICATION
Site: Yew Tree, Walterstone, Herefordshire. HR2 0DT
Description: Proposed 2 storey extension to existing dwelling and installation of sewage treatment
Application No: 173466 Grid Ref: 335013:225889
7.5 PLANNING PERMISSION GRANTED
Site: The Oaks Farm, Craswall, Herefordshire. HR2 0PN
Description: Proposed new agricultural building for sheep handling and storage
Application No: 172796 Grid Ref. 328721:234643
7.6 PLANNING PERMISSION GRANTED
Site: Cwmbologue Farm, Dulas, Herefordshire. HR2 0HW
Description: Proposed erection of oak framed conservatory extension.
Application No: 172979 Grid Ref: 335000:229685
7.7 (Part 3) Class Q – PRIOR APPROVAL IS NOT REQUIRED
Site: Middle Wern Ddu Farm, Rowlestone, Herefordshire
Description: Proposed change of use from agricultural building to two dwellings and
Application No: 173087 Grid Ref: 335402:229072
7.8 PLANNING PERMISSION REFUSED
Site: Upper Crossways, Craswall, Herefordshire. HR2 0PL
Description: Erection of outbuilding to provide annex accommodation to Upper Crossways
Application No: 172394 Grid Ref: 329096:234735
8.1 Confirmation of bank balance – £6072.61 issued 11th September 2017.
8.2 Receipts – £7015 2nd precept instalment and £603.33 Lengthsman Claim.
8.3 Payment to Mr T Griffiths, invoice no. TGC0176 – Roads Account September 2017 (1) of £382.00 plus VAT and invoice no. TGC0182 – Roads Account October 2017 (1) of £382.00 plus VAT – Payment deferred until after work has been completed as in agenda item 5.2
8.4 Payment to Mrs L Cowles for October Clerks’ hours – Payment agreed.
8.5 Payment to HMRC of £132.80 for PAYE July – September 2017 – Payment agreed.
8.6 The External Auditors report for year-end 31st March 2017 was received and comments noted.
8.7 Financial Working Group Quarterly Report – The quarterly finance report had been sent to Parish Councillors prior to the meeting. Mrs G Watkins reported that the spreadsheets and bank statement had been checked at the quarterly meeting and were all in order.
9. BUDGET – The budget for 2018/19 was approved.
10. COMPLAINTS PROCEDURE – The Complaints Procedure was considered and adopted.
11. MODEL PUBLICATION SCHEME – The Model Publication Scheme was considered and adopted. A link to the Parish Plan will be added to the Parish Council website.
12. HEREFORDSHIRE CCG GP PRACTICE SERVICES, COMMUNITY HEALTH AND CARE – Mrs Cecil had recently attended a community engagement event with Herefordshire CCG in Longtown village hall, unfortunately only two residents attended along with Peter Jinman and three members of the clinical commissioning group. The purpose of the engagement is to hear able people needs in the local community although this area seems to be well down their list. Peter Jinman would like to organise a meeting with Parish Council Chairs’ and Clerks’ to work out how to engage with the community and establish what is needed and how it would work for this area.
13. DARK SKIES PROJECT IN THE GOLDEN VALLEY – Ignite CIC have been developing the Dark Skies Project and gathering support in preparation for submitting bids to fund a project in the Golden Valley. The project is open to all ages of the community and the Parish Council has been invited to attend a group meeting to discuss the project further. The meetings will be held sometime in October or November. Mrs Cecil volunteered to attend along with Ms J Jones who has also expressed an interest in the project.
14. CLERKS CONTRACT – The Clerks’ updated contract of employment was approved.
15. NEIGHBOURHOOD PLAN – An initial draft of the plan has been written. There is a Steering Group meeting on Friday (20th October) when the draft will be discussed and updated.
16. BT PHONE BOXES – The Clerk has applied to British Telecom to adopt the phone box opposite Llanveynoe church.
17. DEFIBRILLATORS – The defibrillators have now been installed at Craswall and Walterstone village halls. Mrs G Watkins reported that the Craswall village hall committee has been in contact with Mr Richard Baker to organise a training session and will be asking for a donation from people who attend. It was agreed that Ms D Palmer would contact him to organise a similar session in Walterstone. Mrs Watkins also advised that the Craswall PCC meeting will be held in November when they will consider the request to have the remaining defibrillator installed at Craswall church.
18. NOVEMBER NEWSLETTER – Defibrillators at Craswall and Walterstone village halls and training sessions, Clinical Commissioning Group, be seen whilst walking/cycling at night, Parish Councillor vacancies, Lengthsman 2018/19 tender, reporting potholes via Herefordshire Council’s website.
19. NOTE THE CORRESPONDENCE SHEET – The correspondence sheet was noted.
20. RAISE MATTERS FOR THE NEXT SCHEDULED ORDINARY MEETING – 15th November 2017 at 8.00pm in Longtown Village Hall – Longtown School meeting, Neighbourhood Plan, Lengthsman Tenders, Planning.
The Chair declared the meeting closed at 2140