LONGTOWN GROUP PARISH COUNCIL
Craswall, Llanveynoe, Longtown and Walterstone
Minutes of Longtown Group Parish Council meeting held on Wednesday 19th November 2014 at 7.30pm in Longtown Village Hall.
PRESENT – Mr N Cowles (Chairman), Mr D Freeman, Mrs P Tribe, Mrs L Watkins, Mrs R Pritchard, Ms D Palmer, Mr J Hardy and Ms J Jones.
IN ATTENDANCE – Mrs L Cowles (Clerk), PCSO Katie Middleton and Councillor Graham Powell.
1. ACCEPT APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE – Mr P Hope, Miss R Goodwin, Mrs J Probert and Mr T Griffiths.
2. RECEIVE DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST – Mr J Hardy declared a non-disclosable pecuniary interest in agenda item 7.3; the declarations book was signed accordingly.
3. ADOPT MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING – 15th October 2014 – The minutes were signed as a true and accurate record.
4. OPEN DISCUSSION – No members of the public attended the meeting and therefore no specific points were raised.
5.1 Ward Councillor Graham Powell – Councillor Powell’s report included:-
Alternate Weekly Waste Collection
Consultation on Public Payphone Removal
Southern Link Road – Preferred Options
Herefordshire Council Budget
A full report is available, on request, from the Clerk.
Mr Freeman queried with Councillor Powell whether this relief road would actually solve the traffic problems in Hereford. Councillor Powell advised that the road needed to be built to enable the Enterprise Park at Rotherwas to expand and once built Lorries would not be able to continue along the A465 into Hereford. The southern link road was also the preferred option of the Highways Agency and Government funding would be available. Mr Freeman had also been having problems contacting Herefordshire Council by telephone as phones were not being answered. Councillor Powell explained that the majority of calls received were regarding roads and council tax, these two departments were due to be separated from the main switchboard and the problem should be solved by the end of March.
5.2 Local Police – PCSO Middleton reported that at present crime levels were low in the area; police had been carrying out speed enforcement and a campaign of unmarked police cars visiting rural areas will be running until mid January 2015. A gun amnesty was currently running country wide. Mr Hardy made enquiries able how crime was dealt with once reported. PCSO Middleton advised to call 999 for emergency calls only and 101 for non emergency calls. Crimes will then be noted, given an incident number and passed to the local policing team to follow up. Members of the public should then receive a visit or telephone call and should be kept informed how investigations are progressing.
5.3 Lengthsman – The Lengthsman report was read by the Clerk. A full report is available, on request, from the Clerk.
6. CLERKS UPDATE
The Licensing Department at Herefordshire Council has a number of policies out for consultation; these include Licensing Policy, Gambling Act Policy and Sexual Establishments, comments are needed by 21st November 2014.
Ewyas Harold Parish Council is currently running a consultation regarding their proposal of acquiring the former Catholic Church in the village. It was agreed to include the details on the website. Herefordshire Council has advised of possible re-charges for Parish Council elections in May 2015.
Correspondence had been received from Mr Taylor, the contents of which were noted. The Clerk had also spoken to Rose Lane concerning a dog waste bin near Salem Chapel; she felt signs would be a preference over a bin. The Balfour Beatty road show will be at Longtown Village shop from 10.00am to 1.00pm on Friday 21st November.
7. CONSIDER PLANNING
7.1 PLANNING PERMISSION
Site: Bramley House, Dulas, Herefordshire. HR2 0HW
Description: Proposed agricultural building.
Application No: P143093/F Grid Ref: 335089:229618
Planning permission had been granted on 14th November 2014 before the Parish Council could comment.
7.2 LISTED BUILDING CONSENT
Site: Pontynys Farm, Longtown, Herefordshire. HR2 0NA
Description: Proposed removal of stone roof tiles to replace with welsh slate.
Application No: P141090/L Grid Ref: 332958:228845
7.3 PLANNING PERMISSION
Site: Lodge Farm, Walterstone, Herefordshire. HR2 0DT
Description: Proposed conversion of agricultural barn to two residential dwellings.
Demolition of shelter shed and attached pigsty and construction
of two carports. Construction of an animal welfare store (agricultural
use only) and change of use of land to a mixed use of agricultural
Application No: P143066/F Grid Ref: 335296:225623
COMMENT – The Parish Council would like to question why there is a need for two additional houses on the site when planning permission has previously been approved for a new house with an agricultural tie at the same location.
7.4 PLANNING PERMISSION GRANTED
Site: Little Blackhill Farm, Longtown, Herefordshire. HR2 0NN
Description: Proposed erection of a broadband satellite receiver,
Application No: P142135/CU Grid Ref: 335232: 228667
Ms J Jones joined the meeting
8.1 Bank balance as per statement number 181 dated 10th November 2014 is £11006.09.
8.2 Saver account balance as per statement number 36 dated 10th October 2014 is £5063.57.
8.3 Receipts – 1st & 2nd Quarter Lengthsman Scheme payments £3807.00
8.4 Payment to Longtown Village Hall for additional meetings of £30.00 – Payment Agreed.
8.5 Payment of PAYE July – September 2014 of £164.00 – Payment Agreed.
8.6 Payment to Mrs Linda Cowles for October 2014 Clerk’s hours of £218.65 plus £9.58 envelopes and £27.84 stamps – Payment Agreed.
8.7 Annual donation to village halls – Mrs L Watkins proposed a donation of £500.00 to each hall, which was seconded by Mrs Pritchard, unanimously agreed.
8.8 The 2015/16 budget was unanimously agreed.
9. PARISH PRECEPT 2015/16 – Mr D Freeman proposed not to increase the precept for another year which was seconded by Mr J Hardy. It was unanimously agreed to keep the precept the same at £5530.
10. UPDATE FROM NEIGHBOURHOOD PLAN STEERING GROUP MEETING – Members of the Steering Group had recently met with Colin Thomas from Dorstone to hear how they have been progressing with their plan and to receive some advice on how to begin developing a plan. Mr Freeman had drawn up a document for approval by the Parish Council to encourage members of the Parish; with relevant experience to join the Steering Group. It was unanimously agreed to include the notice in the parish newsletter, on the website, shop and parish notice boards. Information regarding the availability of a Neighbourhood Plan bridging grant had been received from Herefordshire Council, it was agreed that the Clerk would contact James Latham to see if the Parish Council were eligible. The next meeting of the steering group will be before the full Parish Council meeting on 17th December.
11. WINTER MAINTENANCE SELF-HELP SCHEME – Only a small amount of grit salt was used last winter but it was agreed to request an additional 1 tonne bag at Hafod Olchon, Llanveynoe and at The Greidol, Walterstone along with 10 x 25kg bags at Meardy Farm, Lower Mascoed.
12. BT CONSULTATION TO REMOVE PUBLIC PAY PHONES – BT are running a formal consultation regarding their current programme of proposed public payphone removal. The phone box at HR2 0NQ/telephone number 01873 860251 has been identified for removal. BT has stated that this phone box has been used 6 times in the last 12 months. Parish Councils have been given the option to adopt a telephone box for £1.00 but should be aware of the cost of maintenance and general upkeep of the box. All telephone equipment would be removed from the telephone box. The Parish Council agreed that as a mobile signal was either very patchy or nonexistent in the area along with unreliable land lines they would object to the payphone being removed.
13. DORE COMMUNITY TRANSPORT – This was considered to be a valuable asset to the community and it was unanimously agreed to donate £200 to help towards their running costs.
14. PLANNING SUB-COMMITTEE – It was unanimously agreed to adopt the policy for dealing with planning applications between meetings as drawn up by the Clerk, this was signed by the Chairman, Mr N Cowles and Mr D Freeman then witnessed by the Clerk. It was agreed the Planning Group would include a representative from each parish being Mr N Cowles, Mr D Freeman, Ms J Jones and Mr J Hardy. The Clerk will enquire whether Mr Powell or Ms Goodwin would like to represent Craswall.
15. DOG WASTE BIN – Ms Lane had contacted the Clerk to indicate that signs would be more useful than a dog waste bin. It was noted that the community had express their concerns over dog waste bins in Longtown and although notices had been used before it was agreed that the Clerk would obtain the costs for a notice.
16. REPORT NEW ROAD DEFECTS – Pot holes on U75007 beyond Highfield House and C1203 by Craswall Village Hall. Councillor Powell also requested that the Lengthsman visit U75008 where it crosses the River Monnow.
17. DECEMBER/JANUARY NEWSLETTER ARTICLE – Dore Community Transport, No precept increase, Donations to village halls, Grit salt supplies, Neighbourhood plan and Police non-emergency 101 telephone number.
18. NOTE THE CORRESPONDENCE SHEET – The correspondence sheet was noted.
19. RAISE MATTERS FOR THE NEXT SCHEDULED MEETING – Dog signs.
The Chairman declared the meeting closed at 9.30pm