Longtown Village Pride
Longtown Village Pride is a well-established group of volunteers who work to improve and maintain the environment around Longtown.
What does Longtown Village Pride do?
Over the years many projects have been carried out including: –
- working with others to design and create Broome’s garden, a mediaeval garden next to Longtown Castle, and maintaining it and its environs over the years
- maintaining the Dip well in Llanwonog Lane
- tidying grassy areas around the village
- helping to open up the leat at Clodock Mill
- clearing the banks surrounding the Village Green
We also enjoy barbecues, trips and excursions. In the last few years we have visited Hidcote, Powys Castle and Berkeley Castle.
Want to get involved?
Attacking the Banks
You don’t need to be any kind of expert to join us. You just need to love the village and its surroundings and enjoy being outside working with others.
If you are interested in joining us you will be made really welcome. You can:
- look out for news of our events in the parish newsletter, notices around the village or on this website and simply come along;
- just turn up at Broome’s garden next to the castle between 10 and 12 on the last Saturday of the month (unless another Longtown Village Pride activity is announced for that day) prepared to join in;
- get in touch with one of our members who can tell you what we are up to and look out for you at our events.
Longtown Village Pride Programme for 2016
SATURDAY MORNINGS AT 10AM MEET AT BROOME’S GARDEN
- 26th January
- 27th February
- 26th March
- 30th April
- 28th May
- 25th June
- 30th July
- 27th August
- 24th September
- 29th October
- 26th November
Broome’s Garden is free for everyone to go into for a look round, or to sit and enjoy a quiet time in the sun, hopefully! Please use it. And with all the extra activity likely around the Castle this July, we want it to be even more inviting than it was last year, if that’s possible.
If anybody wishes to do a job in the garden or surrounds, but not on these workdays, please feel free. If you need equipment or want to check, call Roger Maslin 860470 or Martin Cook 860408. Thank you.
Village Pride is now responsible for maintaining Castle Green so if you become aware of any problem or have anu suggestions please contact one of our members.
Next AGM Monday 24th October 2016 at 7pm, Clodock Mill.
Martin Cook (Chairman): 01873 860408
Jill Cook (Secretary): 01873 860408
Neil Kidd (Treasurer): 01873 860344
Roger Maslin (Projects): 01873 860470